1. A vast survey is carried out to identify the key players and achievements in every category
2. Nominees are only confirmed if they remit a written memo
3. An independent jury composed of some 100 top personalities assess the memos
4. The jury evolves and changes every year in order to avoid recurrent assessment
5. The jury members motivate in writing their decision. Their decision is explained during the ceremony.
6. Their votes are sent to a Huissier de Justice/gerechtsdeurwaarder (legal bailiff) who supervises the process.
7. For the most prominent prize(s), a hearing is organized between the jury and the nominated firms at the headquarters of the FEB – VBO (Federation of Enterprises). The jury is chaired by Philippe Lambrecht, from the FEB-VBO and composed of Michel Vermaerke of Febelfin, Guy Keutgen Cepani-Cepina, Anne De Wolf, Director of the Institute for Company Lawyers.
8. After the event, a debriefing takes place between the nominated firms and the jury so that firms can get a feed back on their entry.
EASY TO PARTICIPATE
IN-HOUSE LEGAL DEPARTMENTS
There is one award dedicated to in-house legal departments:
- Most innovative legal department of the Year
Most innovative legal department:
In-house Legal Counsels send back a documented Explanatory Memo (max 5 pages A4 plus possible attachments) based on the innovative achievements of the department before February 10th 2010.
In-house Legal Counsels can, simultaneously, propose legal departments of other companies as possible nominees. These will be invited by the organizers to send an explanatory Memo in order to be considered in the final nominee list.
Nominees will make sure not to breach any confidentiality commitment and not to violate their obligation of professional secrecy.
Only nominees who submit an Explanatory Memo in due time will be part of the final nominee list.
The Jury will assess areas of innovation more particularly:
- Demonstration of a commendable degree of quality in organization
- Demonstration of a particular degree of innovation in managing a legal department
- Demonstration of best practices in teamwork with the other internal departments of the company and with external advisors.
- Specific innovative recruitment techniques and strengthening of the legal department
Download Participation Form LEGAL DEPARTMENTS
PRIVATE PRATICE LAW FIRMS
Nominees are selected according to an objective written survey carried out in cooperation with the Official Partners of the Legal Awards, representatives from the business community and the professional press
The Official Partners of the Legal Awards are large and well reputed organizations and federations, their contribution ensures a representative and relevant selection for the Legal Awards. (Official Partners)
Following the results of the survey, nominees will be invited to submit an Explanatory Memo of max 5 pages A4 plus possible attachments.
Contemplated nominees will make sure not to breach any confidentiality commitment and not to violate their obligation of professional secrecy by either making sure no parties can be identified or by collecting beforehand the necessary authorizations to disclose any given information or by disclosing information that is already publicly available.
Only those contemplated nominees who do send a Explanatory Memo before February 10th 2010 will be part of the final Nominee List.
The Jury will select the Award Winner in each category based on the Explanatory Memo received in due time.
NOVELTY : Law firms nominated to the award « Belgian Firm of the Year », will be invited to speak up and explain their memo in front of the jury. This oral interview is however optional. The hearing will be held during the course of March at the FEB-VBO building.
Definition of the categories of awards remitted to Law Firms
There are two main chapters of awards for Law Firms:
(1) Practice Areas
(1) PRACTICE AREAS
Corporate : The law firm of the year active in the Corporate law sector.
Banking & Finance : The law firm of the year active in the Bank and/or Finance law sector.
Competition & Anti-Trust : The law firm of the year active in competition and Anti-Trust.
Tax : The law firm of the year active in the Tax law sector.
Employment : The law firm of the year active in the Employment law sector.
Real Estate & Construction : The law firm of the year active in the Real Estate and/or the Construction law sector.
Regulatory : The law firm of the year active in the Administrative and Environment law sector.
IP, IT & TMT : The law firm of the year active in Intellectual Property and Information technology Law.
Litigation & Arbitration : The law firm of the year active in Litigation and Arbitration.
Belgian Firm of the Year : The law firm having an office on the Belgian territory, including offices, branches or firms members of a national or international network.
Regional Firm Flanders of the Year : The law firm of the year having its head office or main seat in Flemish Region, with the exclusion of Brussels. The jury will recognize outstanding performance within the specific regional market.
Regional Firm Wallonia of the Year : The best law firm/department/team of the year having its head office or main seat in the Walloon Region. The jury will recognize outstanding performance within the specific regional market.
US Law Firm in Brussels of the Year : Best law firm of the year having the bulk of their lawyers based in the United States. The winner will have shown significant progress in building a presence in Brussels. The jury will look both at the ability to develop a European hub and a presence on the local market. Judges will look at key transactions during the year, success in recruitment both in terms of recent additions and integration of foreign lawyers in the US firm.
Managing Partner of the Year : The managing partner of a law firm/office/branch in Belgium who has showed best leadership, brought major new ideas and initiatives, achieved solid positioning for his/her firm/department, strong ability to communicate. Although we will take a long view, their performance over the course of the last 12 months will strengthen their nomination.
Best firm to work for of the Year : The winner will be the law firm to work for. The law firm having an office on the Belgian territory, including offices, branches or firms members of a national or international network which has conducted the best partnership/employment policy. Download complete Nomination & Selection Rules
Highest Potential Law Firm of the Year: The “Highest Potential Law Firm of the Year” rewards a small or medium sized law firm which has shown significant progress in building a presence on the Belgian market. The jury will look both at growth criteria, innovation both in terms of clients approach and positioning on the market, new ideas/initiatives in terms of services brought to the market/clients or communication.
Download Participation Form LAW FIRMS
Download complete Nomination & Selection Rules